Applications available here.
Scholarships available; read more here.
|January 21-24, 2024
Florida Elks Youth Camp
|August 25-27, 2024 (with FRPA Conference)
Caribe Royale Resort
The Abrahams-Jones Academy for Leadership Excellence is designed for Professionals who are able to meet the stated prerequisites, and aspire to become a member of an executive level leadership team within a parks and recreation agency. The Academy provides an opportunity for participants to explore and develop their leadership capacity, create personal leadership advancement plans, and encourages personal introspection, group activity and individual assessment.
The year long experience commences with the initial training and continues throughout the year with suggested readings, group interaction through conference calls and social media, and one on one mentorship from a coach. Combining the initial training and post-Academy activity, participants begin to transfer theory into practice in preparation for assuming executive level leadership positions in the parks and recreation field.
Ideal Candidates for the Academy have:
- Shown progressive ascension from mid-level into higher level positions within the agency; and
- Have responsibilities that include administration and overseeing or coordinating the work of other full-time employees; and
- Comprehension of base-line concepts outlined in the application and mastery in applying certain concepts in their current position; and
- Commitment to dedicating the time to complete the prerequisite assignments for Session I, interim project assignments, interim virtual meetings and coaching sessions, and prerequisite assignments for Session II.
Curriculum includes but is not limited to:
- Advanced Leadership
- Strategic and Systems Thinking
- Courageous Communication
- Organization Design
- Funding and Budget Fundamentals
- Business Planning
Candidates must attend Session I of the Academy prior to returning for Session II, and must complete interim assignments that serve to reinforce theory provided in the Academy. Each participant is assigned a coach for the term that works with participants to assure they are receiving information they need to continue their advancement in the field.
Read more about the prerequisites and requirements for completing the program in the application packet.
Proudly sponsored by: